I’m an American. Can I get a PAL?

Retrieved from RCMP's website regarding foreign visitors (including American hunters) to Canada with firearms. Retrieved Oct 6, 2019: Firearm Users Visiting Canada Note This information applies only to firearms that are neither restricted nor prohibited, as set out in Part III of the Criminal Code of Canada. For information on visiting Canada with restricted firearms, contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). Additional requirements must be met before a restricted firearm [...]

By |October 2nd, 2019|

What are the current magazine restrictions?

From the RCMP's Special Bulletin for Business #72 (retrieved Oct 2, 2019): Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity Special Bulletin for Businesses No. 72 Background The maximum capacity of a cartridge magazine is set out in Part 4 of the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.  The Regulations prescribe “prohibited devices”, and a magazine that has [...]

Can the CFSC PAL course be done online?

The Government of Canada mandates that all new shooters (or those without proof of a prior older license, such as a POL or FAC) are required to take in-person courses. Hunter Safety provincial/territorial courses can usually be taken online (they differ by province), but to get your federal gun license in Canada you must complete the 8 classroom hours for Non-Restricted licenses, and 6 further hours past that for [...]

What could prevent me from getting my PAL?

Students need to ensure their own eligibility for the PAL/RPAL before registering for a course. If a student were to come and take a course, and then send their forms in - and then be denied by the RCMP because for whatever reason it turns out that the student was ineligible all along - that situation would not be any instructor's responsibility. The student does end up ultimately responsible [...]

What about language barriers?

Students need to complete the course and testing in English or French. Though students may regularly use/speak other languages, we are required to use either English or French in the testing phase. Students are not allowed to bring in electronic translators to the course. Students may not bring human translators. The expectation is that students will be able to communicate well later on at Canadian firing lines, where a [...]